Historic Milestones


1919 | Emmanuel College opens at 400 The Fenway


1923 | On June 7th, 26 young women become the first Emmanuel College graduates


1933 | College purchases additional land on The Fenway and expands the campus to Avenue Louis Pasteur and Brookline Avenue


1945 | College purchases additional land along Avenue Louis Pasteur

 Student Government is Established

 1945-1946 | Student Government is established


1949 | Alumnae Hall opens as a science center, the first building constructed since the Administration Building


1955 | College purchases additional land along Brookline Avenue


1955 | Marian Hall opens as a multi-purpose building serving as a residence, dining facility and student center


1958 | First student residence hall, Julie Hall, opens


1962 | St. Ann Hall and coffee shop/campus shop opens


1963 | Loretto Hall opens


1965 | Cardinal Cushing Library dedicated


1968 | St. Joseph Hall, Emmanuel's largest residence hall, opens


1984 | Democratic presidential primary debate on women's issues hosted by Emmanuel


1987 | A new science center opens in renovated Marian Hall


1993 | First Founder's Day honors St. Julie Billiart and the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur 


1996 | Emmanuel President, Sr. Janet Eisner, SND, initiates founding of the Colleges of the Fenway  Consortium

 College Chapel Reopens

 1998 | College Chapel reopens after a complete renovation


2001 | First coeducational class arrives on campus

 Carolyn Lynch Insitute Established

 2002 | Carolyn A. Lynch Institute is established to support urban education

 Jean Yawkey Center Opens

 2004 | The Jean Yawkey Center, a student center with dining, fitness and a NCAA-regulation gymnasium opens; Jean Yawkey Center for Community Leadership is established


2007 | College establishes Center for Mission Engagement


2009 | The Maureen Murphy Wilkens Science Center and a renovated Art Department open


2009 | Roberto Clemente Field is restored and becomes home field for Emmanuel College athletics


 2013 | Emmanuel completes restoration of its historic Administration Building


 2014 | The Notre Dame Campus opens in Roxbury, just blocks from where the SNDs operated Notre Dame Academy from 1854-1965